Have you accidentally closed the word document? Are you worrying about the loss of work hours on word document due to unexpected shutdown? Well, take a deep breath! Your file is not lost forever. It’s possible and easy to recover an unsaved Word document. Microsoft word has an auto-save feature. Here are the ways to find it.
To recover an unsaved Word document (Word 2010, Word 2013, Or Word 2016)
1. Open Microsoft Word. Click File tab, then Manage Document button.
2. Click Recover Unsaved Documents from the drop down list.
3. The Open dialogue box displays a list of all unsaved word documents.
4. Select the word document you want to recover and click open.
5. Click Save as button to save your document.
To recover an unsaved Word document using Microsoft Word 7 or below
Microsoft Word helps to recover up to the last 10 minutes of your work. It also allows to change the amount of time you would like Word to save a recoverable copy of your work. Follow the steps given below:
1. Relaunch MS Word application.
2. It searches for unsaved word drafts and shows them on left side of the window.
3. From here, you can recover an unsaved Word document.
If you have closed the application manually, it might not work. But you can give it a try. It also works in the situation when you accidentally closed the previously saved document but had failed to save the latest changes.
Accessing the directory for temporary files
Go to the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Word
MS word always saves a temporary file while working on any document. So if the chances are that your MS Word files in storage, you can recover an unsaved Word document.
If you have Windows 10 on your desktop, follow the quick tip given below,
To recover an unsaved Word document in Windows 10:
1. Click on File Explorer.
2. Choose this PC or My computer.
3. Type ‘.asd’ in the search bar and ‘press enter’.
There are various applications available which offer easy recovery of an unsaved Word document. Furthermore, these applications can retrieve a file on any Windows version.